Which Blood Pressure Monitor is Best for Me?
It is vital that you check your blood pressure at home if you want to manage your high blood pressure (hypertension). The American Heart Association and other health organizations recommend anyone who has high blood pressure should monitor their blood pressure at home. While monitoring from home you can keep tabs on your blood pressure in a familiar setting, make certain your medication is working, and alert you and your doctors to potential health complications.
Because blood pressure monitors are available widely and without a prescription, home monitoring is an easy step you can take to improve your condition. Although you don’t need a prescription to buy an at-home blood pressure monitor you should get feedback from your primary care physician. And before spending the money, I have offered a review of four blood pressure monitors that will work for most budgets. If you’re looking for more in depth information about blood pressure monitors, Consumer Reports is a reliable resource.
Qualifications to Look For in a Blood Pressure Monitor
There are many different kinds of home blood pressure monitors, but it is best, and easiest, to use one that is fully automatic (digital). In my opinion, it is better to choose a monitor that measures your blood pressure at your upper arm, rather than at your wrist or finger. Upper-arm blood pressure monitors usually give the most accurate and consistent results.
Make sure that the home blood pressure monitor you choose has been listed as “clinically validated.” This means that the digital monitor has gone through a series of tests to make sure it gives results that you and your doctor can trust.
I am offering unbiased ratings as well so that you can choose the best blood pressure monitor for your specific needs.There are many reasons to own a blood pressure monitor for your home, and I will list several of those below.
- Is it clinically proven?
- Use only automatic blood pressure monitors.
- Make sure your monitor is accurate.
- Make sure you have the right cuff size. An upper-arm blood pressure monitor will come with a cuff that you need to wrap around your arm.
Are All Blood Pressure Monitors the Same?
If you have used different blood pressure monitors, it is a known fact that there are various brands, models, and price ranges to consider. In my opinion it is very important to find the one that works best for you. So, is the most expensive blood pressure monitor necessarily the best one? Or does the least expensive one have the lowest quality? I will try and answer all these questions in the reviews that follow.
Panasonic EW 3109W Automatic Blood Pressure Monitor
Description: The Panasonic EW3109W Automatic Arm Blood Pressure Monitor is the first portable arm unit in the industry. It has an “easy-fit” cuff that is designed for comfort. In addition, the cuff rolls around the slim baton-style monitor to assure correct and accurate use.
- The large “easy read” LCD display gives you digital readings on inflation with memory capabilities that can capture up to 90 readings. It also includes an “averaging” feature that allows you to save and track readings over a period of time.
- Panasonic’s “Digital Filter Technology” assures accurate measurement of blood pressure readings every time, with sensors that isolate and detect only essential pulse oscillation, thereby eliminating noise factors which can cause unreliable measurements.
- The “Flashing Warning System” alerts you if your blood pressure reading is high or hypertensive.
- With a one-touch start button, the unit auto-inflates and makes it accurate and extremely easy to use.
- Includes a carrying pouch and 4 AA batteries.
Cheapest place to buy: Amazon
Size: 8″ x 2″ x 2″ inches
My rating: 9 (out of 10) – with quality that includes great performance, this is the most inexpensive monitor of its kind that I have found.
• Note: An optional AC adaptor and extra-large cuff (fits up to 17″) are available and sold separately.
Omron BP742N 5 Series Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor
Description: Omron blood pressure monitors are the #1 recommended brand by doctors and pharmacists for clinically-accurate home blood pressure monitoring, and the #1 selling manufacturer of blood pressure monitors for over 40 years.
- Two users can store and review last 50 readings each (total 100 reading memory with date and time stamps)
- Automatically displays the average of your last 3 readings taken within 10 minutes
- Compares your readings with normal home blood pressure levels while also monitoring for irregular heartbeats
- Package includes: one blood pressure monitor, one wide-range cuff (fits arms 9 to 17 inches in circumference), quick start guide, instruction manual and 4 AA batteries.
Cheapest place to buy: Amazon
Size: At 5.6 inches high, it easily fits in the palm of your hand.
My rating: 9 (out of 10) – it provides consistent and precise readings.
1byone Bluetooth Digital Blood Pressure Monitor
Description: It is comfortable and easy to use, and fully automatic. With the touch of a button you receive blood pressure and heart rate readings. this monitor includes an extra-large, backlit LCD that is clear and easy to read, even in dark rooms.
- Clinically-Tested Accuracy – FDA & CE approved, with advanced technology to ensure accurate, consistent and reliable readings.
- Convenient Tracking – Stores up to 60 readings for 2 users each (120 readings total). Download accompanying free iOS and Android mobile apps to conveniently save and track unlimited readings to your phone or tablet.
- Adjustable Cuff & Result Alerts – Integrated hook-and-loop fasteners allow the cuff to fit standard and large adult arms, from 22cm (8 3/4”) to 42cm (16 1/2”). The monitor shows comparison of user blood pressure to normal pressure readings, and also warns for irregular heartbeats.
Cheapest place to buy: Amazon
Size: Adjustable cuff is one-size-fits-all.
My rating: 10 (out of 10) – for the money, this one gives you the “most bang for your buck.”
Summary: Measuring your blood pressure at home and keeping a record of the measurements will show you and your doctor how much your blood pressure changes during the day. If you are under a physician’s care, your doctor can use your record of measurements to see how well your medicine is working to control your high blood pressure. Using a blood pressure monitor at home is an important way of measuring your own blood pressure, and a good way to manage your own health and recognizing changes.
Whatever blood pressure monitor you choose, one of the units reviewed above will be the one that is perfect for your needs. It will help you to improve and maintain sound heart health.
I invite you to leave any questions or comments below. I will do my best to reply within 24 hours.
Make it a healthy day!
Allan: Founder of Healthy Heart Solution
SAVE LIVES • GET HEALTHY • LEAVE A LEGACY